My all-time favorite sandwich is fresh tomato and garlic. It might not sound overly exciting, but when all the components are just right it is down right delicious!
Take a freshly baked Kalamata olive roll (Beta Bread Bakery is my preferred choice!), top it with a thick slice of tomato brushed with fresh garlic and extra virgin olive oil, and finally a sprinkle of pink Himalayan sea salt. Simplicity is everything when putting together some lunch in a hurry, be it for yourself or as a backseat snack on the way to soccer practice and it doesn't get much easier than this!
Besides tasting fantastic, this sandwich also comes with its health benefits. Garlic is recognized as one of the most beneficial vegetables you can eat. For thousands of years, it was actually believed to have medicinal properties. Here are a few good reasons to add garlic to your daily diet.
* Garlic supplementation helps to prevent and reduce the severity of common illnesses like the flu and common cold.
* Garlic ranks as one of the top vegetables in preventing cancer.
* High doses of garlic appear to improve blood pressure of those with known high blood pressure (hypertension).
* Garlic supplementation seems to reduce total and LDL cholesterol, particularly in those who have high cholesterol.
* Garlic contains antioxidants that protect against cell damage and ageing. It may reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
* Garlic has known beneficial effects on common causes of chronic disease, so it makes perfect sense that it could help you live longer.
What are you waiting for? Grab some garlic today and eat it everyday!
1 large ripe tomato, sliced into 4 large slices
2 kalamata rolls, or sprouted grain bread
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Pink Himalayan sea salt to taste
Mix olive oil and garlic in small bowl, spoon evenly onto tops and bottoms of 2 rolls, sprinkle each with salt, place two slices of tomatoes on each bottom half, sprinkle tomatoes with salt, top with top half of roll, and enjoy.